Total Pageviews

Sunday 11 February 2018

60 Second Salad Cutter Bowl Review.




This is the 60 second salad cutter, I purchased it for no more than 6 bucks on ebay. They sell for a lot more on their actual site but there was no way I was paying an arm and a leg (to me) for this. 

So as the name suggests, it's supposed to cut salad in 60 seconds. You put the produce (fruits or veggies) into the bowl and you put the lid on it, turn it upside down, twist it to lock it and then you can cut along the lines, through the produce. You then pull up the bowl a bit to unlock it, you rotate the bowl so it'll click back in, the opposite direction. Once is has locked in the new position, you can cut your produce the other way. It is supposed to chop your items vertically then horizontally. Then once done, you unlock the bowl from the lid and turn it right side up, as you would a regular bowl. You pull the lid off and you now are supposed to have chopped produce for your salad, you can then dump the contents onto a plate or other bowl to consume. 

So I tried out this bowl, I decided this time to try out a veggie salad (as I didn't have any fruits on hand).

Here is a photo of my veggies in the bowl, I used lettuce, tomato and cucumbers (you don't need to pre-cut the tomato, I just happened to have half a tomato on hand.):


Then I put the lid on and turned it up side down, locking it into place:


I cut along the lines, through the produce. I then unlocked the bowl, turned it horizontally and then locked it again; to cut along the lines:


After cutting, I unlocked the bowl and turned it right side up:


This is the finished salad. The lettuce cut well and the cucumbers were partly cut but the poor tomato was only cut once (it may have worked better with a whole tomato but I'm not sure), so overall this didn't chop my veggies as the Ad shows, obviously.

It wasn't a bad cut but I could've just done the tomato and cucumbers myself with better results but I am happy with how it cut the lettuce. Overall I rate it a 3.5/5, if you just wanna chop lettuce. It could work better with other veggies if you try them out, you never know.

Update: With second use, the veggies turned out a lot better but it still struggled to cut the cucumber. I love this thing though, it takes the work out of cutting all my produce in stages and despite the mediocre cuts, it makes for a good choppy salad that I will just end up eating anyway, I don't care TOO much about presentation or eating large chunks in my salads.

I have returned to do my fruit "salad", I am doing just strawberries and bananas as it's what I have on hand. So I washed the strawberries and cut the tops off each one, I was worried they wouldn't fit, so I just put in three. Then I added the banana, I have small ones (no plantains but just small bananas) and I added just one. I keep forgetting how big the bowl is but oh well, I didn't need multiple bananas or too many strawberries, I was just eating this alone.


Then I put the base on it and locked it into place, I then cut along the slits horizontally.


Then I unlocked the bowl from the base and rotated it, locking it back into place. I then cut along the slits vertically.

Then I unlocked the bowl and turned it upside down, pulling the base off. This is what the fruit looked like afterwards.


And I plated it.


The bananas sliced amazingly but didn't chop like the strawberries did and the strawberries were finely chopped with one or two large pieces and a few tiny slivers. 

Overall I am happy with how it went, cutting my fruit. To be honest, I wish I had just cut them in one direction, not both directions to get them sliced how I wanted BUT it all depends on how fine you want them chopped. You can use these now cut fruit for anything: just to snack on, on top of ice cream, mixed in with yogurt, garnish your oatmeal or even used for smoothies. 

Overall I think I had better results with fruit than I did with the vegetables. It's really all up to preference and how you want you produce to come out cut like.

After this fruit experiment I can say it worked well with these two fruits, you will have to experiment with other fruits like pineapple or grapes or cherries, whatever you may like in your fruit salad. I rate this 4.5/5, I would've given it a 5 but the bananas didn't chop just slice and the strawberries almost slivered and I found it not as usual to just snack on as is, would be a perfect size as a topping or garnish though.

No comments:

Post a Comment